Friday, January 5, 2018

Paul Bridgeman ~ 2nd guest post and his novel ~ When You Walk By Night





TITLE: When You Walk By Night
RELEASE DATE: September 2017
AUTHOR: Paul Bridgeman
CATEGORIES: Horror/Dark Fantasy/LGBTQ
PAGE COUNT: 214
ISBN: 978-1974477982
IMPRINT: Dark Serpent




KEYWORDS: Extra-dimensional beings, lesbian, gay, bisexual, nymphomania, Prostitution, Brothel 

ONE LINER:
Let me take you for a walk by night, I have dark stories to tell, You won't regret it.


SYNOPSIS:
Take a walk with me to the end of your street, where the lampposts end and the darkness hides dancing, skipping horrors. Waiting for us are a Copy-cat killer who picks the wrong guy to copy. A strange epidemic that is not quite what it seems and has consequences for us all. An ancient Djiin who trades in souls and loves a twist in his deals. A girl plagued by nymphomania who is going through some deep changes. An exclusive, high class brothel with an interesting charging policy. Inter-dimensional horror on a human farm. A collector of cursed books and Objet D’Art, with a very nosey wife. A group of flatmates terrorised by a possessing spirit with murderous intentions and a sweet girl who would do anything for love. Oh! And Vampires. I can see them now. Come on, take my hand they are getting impatient. . . 



GUEST POST:  Character Development
I love working on characters. The rough idea so rarely stays the same by the time this process is complete. It is sometimes something that just happens naturally, but more often you need a guide to what that characters’ traits are too really develop a story. Initially, I ask myself the purpose of the character. Is the character good? Bad? A helper? A hinderer? Are they only to direct your storyline in a way that you do not want to relate to a main character, except to help them make a realisation or deduction that moves your story forward.

If the character is good, how good are they? Are they saint-like or just the epitomy of a good friend. This will be important as someone who is too virtuous might make a dull character. In what way are they good? They may not be very nice to others’ but supportive to a character who needs help, they could even be the kind of person who transforms your characters life by kindness or financial, spiritual or even magical help. All of these things are important to decide upon when considering where the character will fit into your story. I always try to decide whether a character is incidental or will be more involved in the stories early on, I am often wrong as whatever inspires me sometimes has other, very clear ideas for this character and this is a good thing, sometimes. As I said, these apparently transient characters can come back into stories and change the direction of a story completely. It doesn’t happen often, but I found it is a good idea if you know who they are when they do re-appear, then whatever change they bring will be a good one. I think that knowing who people are within your story will help you to keep the story believable even when the story itself might be wildly imaginative. So, even when I have a character that will only be on a few pages I will try to ensure that they have a little colour, just in case they are not done with me yet! When I contemplate writing character, I often find that like in acting the best characters to write are villains. In one of my forthcoming books I have a character called Maeller, he is one of my favourites and I think that is because he started as a vaguely dodgy Buccaneer, but still a good man and ends up becoming someone cold and evil, who is powered by revenge. I love that he is shown as a professional pirate, a discoverer, a lover and a warrior before he comes to be a jaded and bitter shell of himself. This character development for Maeller really helped to power the story of “Anydea” and now that I am examining this I think that this might be true of all characters in a good story. It is also an interesting thing with villains that there are so many tools to make them evil. Some are using money to make others miserable, others using magical powers to manipulate the world to their aims and yet others whose only reason for evil is deep mental illness or obsession that drives them to destroy the object of their love or hate and those who just use their power to control others and society from high office. I think that a writer has a great amount of fun and satisfaction from character development, it is a kind of acting in itself, in which you can play every part and in a way, look at what different personalities would do in certain situations. I wish all of you reading who are writers much pleasure in creating your heroes, heroines and villains, but watch out for those little characters. Also, remember to enjoy the process and be your own critic, but find someone that you can trust to keep you in check, but most of all enjoy and write a lot!


AUTHOR BIO:
I have loved ghost stories from a very early age and by the time I was nine or ten years old I was scaring my brothers with bedtime stories of my own! I always wrote other stories but only really showed my brothers as I was too shy and worried that people would laugh. I was delighted to find creative writing an escape from daily life in my teens. I would often use my artistic skills to illustrate and even create cartoon strips of my stories. However, for many years my pleasure in art and storytelling was mainly shared with close relatives and lovers. I worked for both big soft drinks companies of certain colas and at Westminster, which meant that I have been lucky enough to travel all around the world, which does inform some of my stories, however most of my stories are based in Wales, which is my home country and the place I love best. I lived in Thailand for many years where I worked at Rayong University, teaching Business English. I learned to speak, read and write Thai and to cook their delicious food and to perform their unique massage. The culture of Thailand also sparked my art and writing like never before and I sold my art to clients in Thailand, Japan and the USA. When I returned to Wales I had a successful exhibition of surrealist art called “Genius? Genius!” and I decided to take a course in Art, Design and Illustration which lead to a Batchelor of Arts with honours in General Illustration. This was followed by an ignition of my passion for art and writing again and I began to write and paint with abandon. I was invited to exhibit at New Designers 2012, the most prestigious and largest illustration exhibition in Europe. I was very proud of this and my work received good attention, I even signed autographs, which felt surreal.! A few years ago, I met author David Owain Hughes (Look him up!) and he introduced me to Ravenwood Publishers and the lovely Kitty. It still took a huge nagging session from my Mother Rose and my husband Damian to make me offer up my stories for publication. To tell the truth I had forgotten about sending the stories out at all. So, when I received the email from Kitty offering publication I almost gave Damian a heart attack with the noise I made. When I told him and my Mother they almost deafened me right back! Imagine my delight when I found that other people liked my stories. I sometime wonder where all these dark, spooky and kinky stories come from, I am just glad that they do come to me I hope that you will enjoy my stories and check in with me now and again. I will put up descriptions of my stories and maybe even excerpts of them, I will share my own artwork for characters in my books on my blogg at https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4515075547090432167#allposts and also keep you up on gossip and future publications. I really hope we will become friends and then I want to thrill and scare you all to death Mwaahaha Love to you all Paul Bridgeman.

AUTHOR LINKS:  
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4515075547090432167#allposts, https://twitter.com/BridgemansPaul, https://www.facebook.com/paul.bridgeman.14 , http://ohdaligiveusstrength.blogspot.co.uk/

CREATESPACE: https://www.createspace.com/7456593




Brought to you by:

A reminder to the reader ~ before you leave be sure to take a look at the 
Come back and visit again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment. I appreciate your input.